By Dani Blackburn
Graham, Texas, sits just 90 minutes west of Fort Worth in the Western Cross Timbers area of North Texas and is everything one desires from a small Texas town.
The town’s storied history began in 1851 at Fort Belknap, 11 miles northwest of Graham. It was the northern anchor of a series of forts built in order to protect the frontier. Decommissioned in 1859, Fort Belknap remains the only fort in the Lone Star State owned by the citizens of the county.
The Young County town was settled by the Graham brothers, Gustavus A. and Edwin S., who arrived in 1869 and helped revitalize the area after the devastation of the Civil War. The pair purchased land and a saltworks establishment on Salt Creek in 1871 and drilled the very first gas well in the Lone Star State. The very next year, they continued to expand the area by establishing the town of Graham.
Things moved along for the new town as it was named the new county seat in 1876, a title formerly held by Fort Belknap. Graham was the site of the original meeting of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association in 1877, formed by local cattlemen to fight theft in the region.
To read more, pick up a copy of the May/June issue of LiveIt magazine.