By Courtney McEwen, Editor
Apple pie season is in full swing at our house. I may or may not have had a piece for breakfast, I’ll never tell. Besides the numerous visits to every pumpkin patch within driving distance, there is nothing that says “fall” more than apple picking. While there aren’t any apple orchards in my back yard, many of you are swimming in bushels of red deliciousness. Here’s ten suggestions on how to use your bounty of America’s favorite fruit.
- Apples Make The Perfect Pies: This one is obvious, but the apple was made to be in a pie. Pioneer Woman has a yummy flat version that makes my family bonkers.
- Sweet and Savory Sandwiches: A single slice of apple can sweeten any sandwich and it absolutely belongs in a melty grilled cheese, particularly if that cheese is brie or the sharp cheddar. Go Bold With Butter has a Grilled Brie & Apple Sandwich that makes my mouth water.
- Gorgeous Apple Galettes: A galette is the rugged cousin to the pie and so much easier to make. I’m partial to this Cinnamon Apple Galette with Salted Maple Glaze from My Baking Addiction. Hello, Gorgeous!
- Skillet Apple Cake: Cast iron skillets make everything better! King Arthur Flour has the best recipe you won’t want to share.
- Boil those peels: Throw any and all peels into a pot of boiling water with a cinnamon stick and your whole house will be filled with festive.
- Instant Apple Chips: Using the defrost setting on your microwave, toss in some apple slices and let them cook for half an hour. Tada…a chewy, healthy snack!
- Crock Pot Apple Butter: Spread the love, literally. Your slow cooker can do all the work and you have extra jars to share with friends and family.
- Throw Them On The Grill: Grilled apples make a delicious side to any smokey meat or hearty dish. Marinate, brush them with a little oil or let their natural juicy goodness do all the work.
- Apple Pie Cookie Exchange: Pillsbury has a recipe for Caramel Apple Pie Cookies that I can’t express in words how much I love. So-very-much!
- Apple Crisps: Apple crisps are about as American as you can get. Taste of Home has a recipe that uses tart apples and the combination of brown sugar is a party for your taste buds.
I’m certain I could go on and on…and on but that should be enough to keep you busy. Get your super duper peeler ready and look out bushels, here we come!SHARE THIS: